Wednesday, April 9, 2014

First day in an American high school

Yesterday after hiking through Muir Woods, schooling at the Steinbeck Museum and idolizing the Golden Gate Bridge we finally headed to Menlo Park (close to Palo Alto) with our destination set on Menlo Atherton High School. The day we had been dreading - or dreaming had arrived; the day we met our host families. The families had prepared a potluck with diverse and delicious meals, making us feel welcomed.
After we had eaten, we took a group photo and went home with our hosts. When I arrived at my host's (Danielle) house, she gave me a tour of her mansion and introduced me to her guest house, which I will call home for a few days. I was not disappointed.
We found out that we had a lot in common and clicked right away.

Today we drove to school and Danielle had a test so I went to class with another host student. Afterwards we had journalism and Spanish. I was surprised how skilled they were at communicating and pronouncing words in Spanish.
We went to English class where they had a vocabulary test, which I miss in Denmark. Every week they have a test with advanced words. I feel like it's a smart and interesteing way to enhance your knowledge of words.
When the school day ended Danielle, her friend Maddie and I drove to Starbucks to get a drink, and drove back to school to watch the girls lacrosse game. (Menlo-Atherton Bears lost)
The school spirit was very high and very American - all the moms were sitting on the bleachers cheering for their daughters.
When the game finished I went home with Danielle's friend Ellie, which is hosting Amanda, since Danielle had to play volleyball. I ate dinner at their house and it was very interesting to hear her parent's point of view of current America. We discussed the issues in society and the flaws in the systems and how it could be improved.
Later on Ellie drove Amanda and I to In n' Out, a restaurant that is only in California. We met up with Danielle and drank milkshakes. Very American. Maybe?

After my first day in an American high school, I can conclude that people should not complain about homework in Denmark. Since I've studied in an American school before I can relate to the pressure regarding homework and tests. This week, the students have finals, so they have been busy practicing and doing homework to study for their exams. Denmark is more relaxed toward homework and is not stressful compared to a high school here.
Besides school, I feel that being social is a big part of their lives. They have many school events which mostly consist of socializing.
Another point is that especially being able to drive at a young age gives a sense of freedom.

Enjoy the pictures
my own guest house



Isabella.

No comments:

Post a Comment